Wednesday, December 21, 2011

downtown.

After a slightly dragged-out hiatus, I have finally completed a new painting!

This is my city. It is my interpretation of downtown St. John's. I thought Signal Hill was a little too accustomed to getting the attention so I decided paint the view in the other direction. I took a photograph of this spot last winter.  Although I used it as a guide, I never wanted the painting to look exactly like my photo. I like to think of painting as an outlet to communicate my own unique expression of what is real. I use different colours, geometric shapes and smudges, but usually try and keep the overal layout of things the same.

I'm generally pretty pleased with this one thus far. I really like the colours. Specifically some the accents (bright red and mint green). I am totally digging the fact that it worked out like I wanted. Up close, it just looks like a pile of colours and shapes. BUT, from far away, it actually look like what I want it to look like! Downtown St. John's.

Hope everyone is having a glorious holiday with fam and friends! Merry Christmas and Merry wishes to all that you may be celebrating this time of year!




above my bed. it is actually fairly gigantic

4 comments:

  1. you painted this?! you're amazing!

    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kim! You're too sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is INSANELY gorgeous. I miss painting with "real" mediums... I've been painting digitally for so long, I'm not sure if I have any skill with anything other wise... it requires true talent.

    Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Aya! I'm actually hoping to learn more about the tools for graphic design and other digital art forms over the next year or so for work. I'm fairly hopeless at this point. It is also a great talent!
    Thanks again for your kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete