Saturday, May 21, 2011

paints.







baaa




How I spent my Thursday morning.

It was kind of raining and dull outside, so it only seemed appropriate to put on my favorite wool socks, break out the paints, and fill my little apartment with Iron & Wine's "Our Endless Numbered Days".

And oh what a combo it was!

This week has been overly hectic. I started another semester of my graduate degree on Monday and my mind has been preoccupied with becoming OPTIMALLY ORGANIZED and keeping up with life responsibilities. I'm already supposed to have approximately 13 chapters read for this Monday which pretty much makes my brain just want to peace out entirely.

It's not uncommon for times such as this, when I'm gone completely banans about work and obligations, that I become fixated on some little creative project that I want to complete (immediately).

Thus.. Painting Thursday begins!!

First, let me just state that "Our Endless Numbered Days" never fails to fill me with instant relaxation vibes: warm, cozy, calm all over. Mmm.

I always paint on the kitchen floor of my little home. Mainly because it has the best lighting. I like having the canvas laid flat, and it is closest to the house tea supply. But, there is paint all over my kitchen floor and I'm prob going to have a rough go removing all of that before I leave the rented space. eep.

I started this peacock painting a few weeks ago and kept finding things I wanted to change and finalize. I had the idea (months and months ago) for a collection of paintings of different birds on white backgrounds with their feathers having a color combination that was somewhat unexpected and frantic. I chose three birds: peacock, bluebird, and starling.

To be honest, I didn't even know what a starling was, but "Starlings in Winter", a poem by Mary Oliver, was inspiration for the entire project and I felt I should include one.
..Ah, world, what lessons you prepare for us, even in the leafless winters, even in the ashy city. I am thinking now of grief and of getting past it; I feel my boots trying to leave the ground, I feel my heart pumping hard. I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing, as though I had wings.
Ah! So beautiful.. and oddly, so appropriate to my general feelings when I first discovered its existence.

(Could I request that EVERYONE please add the world 'frolicsome' to their everyday vocabulary?)

Hopefully I will have the next two paintings completed before the summer is out. I do have a few other projects that I am working on and school is slowly taking over my life.. but, I know I'll find the time somewhere. I somehow always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment